Change of Name Info

Choosing a surname after marriage or entry into a common-law relationship

As a married person or a person living in a common-law relationship, you have a number of options for choosing your surname.

  • You may retain your present surname;

  • You may assume your spouse's surname or common-law partner's surname;

  • You may combine your present surname with your spouse's or common-law partner's surname, with or without a hyphen (it does not matter which surname you use first); or

  • You may assume your spouse's or common-law partner's surname and retain your present surname as a given, middle name.

All options apply equally to men and women.

If you were born in Manitoba, your birth certificate does not change to your married name or common-law partner's name.

If you are living common-law, it will be necessary to file a declaration with Vital Statistics in order to change your surname. You will be charged a fee to obtain a Certificate of Election of Surname that will provide proof of your new name.

(source: Manitoba Vital Statistics)

What do I need to change my name?

The Certificate of Marriage you receive from Vital Statistics (reminder, must be ordered) is all you need for changing your name.  Just show it to the various places you will be changing your name with and tell them what your new name will be.

Coming soon.... checklist for changing name

Coming Soon....

I'm traveling out of the Country for our honeymoon...What do I do?