top of page

We sell Marriage Licences!

Marriage Licence and Certificate Information

What is the difference between the Marriage Licence and Marriage Certificate?
The Marriage Licence is the document you need to purchase in order to get married. 
It is the document that is signed during the ceremony then used to register your marriage with Vital Statistics.
The Marriage Certificate is your legal proof of marriage. 
NOTE Vital Statistics does not automatically send you the certificate.  It must be ordered.  Here is a link to order online.  This is what is needed for change of name purposes and legal proof of marriage. 
If you are getting married in Manitoba, you must:

STEP 1:   Purchase your marriage licence. Email Heather to set up an appointment!

  • Buy a marriage licence no less than 24 hours before the marriage and no more than three months. Licence expires after 3 months from time of purchase.
  • Both must be present to buy the marriage licence from a registered issuer in your area.  
  • Be single, divorced, or widowed:
    • Single (never married) and over 18 years of age
    • Divorced persons are required to show one of:
    • Divorce Certificate or Decree Absolute
    • Widowed - persons whose spouse is deceased must show:     
      Death Certificate or

       Funeral Home Statement of Death or
       Obituary clipping from the newspaper. 
  • Provide identification for proof of age (18 years or older).

    Acceptable documents for identification can include:

    • Birth Certificate
    • Passport or US Passport Card
    • Citizenship Certificate (Canadian or United States)

    • Canada Immigration documents

    • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card

    • Government of Canada Indian Status Card

    • Driver's Licence (photo ID) with one of the following:
       Manitoba Health Card
       Senior Citizen Card/Old Age Security Card
       Change of Name Certificate
       Social Insurance Card

Information needed for the Marriage licence/Registration:

- Your and your fiance's place of birth (City/Town and Province or Country if outside of Canada)

- Mother's full maiden name

- Father's full name

- Mother's place of birth (City/Town and Province or Country if outside of Canada)

- Father's place of birth (City/Town and Province or Country if outside of Canada)

A Marriage Licence/Registration of Marriage is a permanent legal document.

When you buy your Marriage Licence/Registration of Marriage, before signing the oath, please read through the entire form to make certain that all fields completed by the issuer are clearly legible, accurate, and fully completed. If there are any omissions or errors on the Marriage Licence/Registration of Marriage, Manitoba law determines how, or even if, changes can be made to a permanent legal record and requires payment of fees to do so.


•    Print legibly.
•    Don't use abbreviations, nicknames, or initials.
•    Use full legal names as they appear on your government issued identification.
•    If the name on the marriage registration doesn’t exactly match the name on your identification you may encounter
•    Vital Statistics Agency permanently maintains a copy of the registration form exactly as it is received.
       Once received by the Agency, it becomes a permanent legal document.
•    Do not assume the registration can be changed or corrected later.
•    A marriage certificate cannot be issued until the registration is complete, resulting in delays and
       inconvenience to newlyweds.

STEP 2: Meet with your officiant

Before your Ceremony Date, you must:

•    Make your arrangements with your officiant
•    Give your licence, application for your Certificate of Marriage and the white self-addressed envelope to your officiant.

On your ceremony date, either before, after or during the ceremony both parties, your witnesses, and your officiant must all sign the Marriage Registration.  The couple also must read a formal declaration which is required by Vital Statistics.

STEP 3: Officiant completes Marriage Registration form and sends to Vital Statistics Agency.


Note:  Vital Statistics Agency does not automatically issue a Marriage Certificate.

You have to order it. You will receive the application when you purchase your Marriage Licence/Registration.
You can also click here for the application. (See steps below for completing the application)


•    Marriage Licence: $100.00
•    Certificate of Marriage: $30.00 for regular service or $65.00 for rush service within Canada  (processed within a few business days once marriage is registered. Delivery time may be longer depending on when marriage was registered).


(source: Manitoba Vital Statistics)

(Fees may change without notice)

Completing the application for your Certificate of Marriage


Section 1:   

Enter Mailing address, Phone Number, Email address


Section 2

Check Marriage Certificate and enter quantity

Reason for application:  Enter "Proof of Marriage"

Check English or French


Section 3

Enter names exactly as on the Marriage Licence/Registration

Enter place of birth (Province or Country if outside of Canada)

Enter date of marriage

Enter place of Marriage (City, Town or RM; as entered by the Officiant on the Marriage Licence/Registration)

Section 4

Check A) Self

Sign and print name

Section 5

Check Regular or Rush service

Section 6

Check MasterCard/Visa

Enter amount authorized ($30 regular service or $65 rush service)

Enter Credit Card number

Print and sign name

Feel free to contact Vital Statistics, Sheri or Heather if you have any further questions.

bottom of page