Marriage Licence and Certificate Information
What is the difference between the Marriage Licence and Marriage Certificate?
The Marriage Licence is the document you need to purchase in order to get married.
It is the document that is signed during the ceremony then used to register your marriage with Vital Statistics.
The Marriage Certificate is your legal proof of marriage.
NOTE Vital Statistics does not automatically send you the certificate. It must be ordered. Here is a link to order online. This is what is needed for change of name purposes and legal proof of marriage.
If you are getting married in Manitoba, you must:
STEP 1: Purchase your marriage licence. Email Heather Mann-O'Hara to set up an appointment!
Buy a marriage licence no less than 24 hours before the marriage and no more than three months.
Licence expires after 3 months from time of purchase.
Both must be present to buy the marriage licence from a registered issuer in your area.
Be single, divorced, or widowed:
Single (never married) and over 18 years of age
Divorced persons are required to show one of:
Divorce Certificate or Decree Absolute
Widowed - persons whose spouse is deceased must show:
Death Certificate or
Funeral Home Statement of Death or
Obituary clipping from the newspaper.
Provide identification for proof of age (18 years or older).
Acceptable documents for identification can include:
Passport or US Passport Card
Citizenship Certificate (Canadian or United States)
Canada Immigration documents
Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
Government of Canada Indian Status Card
Driver's Licence (photo ID) with one of the following:
Manitoba Health Card
Senior Citizen Card/Old Age Security Card
Change of Name Certificate
Social Insurance Card
Information needed for the Marriage Licence/Registration:
- Your and your fiance's place of birth (City/Town and Province, or Country if outside of Canada)
- Mother's full maiden name
- Father's full name
- Mother's place of birth (City/Town and Province, or Country if outside of Canada)
- Father's place of birth (City/Town and Province, or Country if outside of Canada)
A Marriage Licence/Registration of Marriage is a permanent legal document.
When you buy your Marriage Licence/Registration of Marriage, before signing the oath, please read through the entire form to make certain that all fields completed by the issuer are clearly legible, accurate, and fully completed. If there are any omissions or errors on the Marriage Licence/Registration of Marriage, Manitoba law determines how, or even if, changes can be made to a permanent legal record and requires payment of fees to do so.
• Print legibly.
• Don't use abbreviations, nicknames, or initials.
• Use full legal names as they appear on your government issued identification.
• If the name on the marriage registration doesn’t exactly match the name on your identification you may encounter difficulties.
• Vital Statistics Agency permanently maintains a copy of the registration form exactly as it is received.
Once received by the Agency, it becomes a permanent legal ocument.
• Do not assume the registration can be changed or corrected later.
• A marriage certificate cannot be issued until the registration is complete, resulting in delays and inconvenience to newlyweds.
STEP 2: Meet with your officiant
Before your Ceremony Date, you must:
• Make your arrangements with your officiant
• Give your licence, application for your Certificate of Marriage and the white self-addressed envelope to your officiant.
On your ceremony date, either before, after or during the ceremony both parties, your witnesses, and your officiant must all sign the Marriage Registration. The couple also must read a formal declaration which is required by Vital Statistics.
STEP 3: Officiant completes Marriage Registration form and sends to Vital Statistics Agency.
Note: Vital Statistics Agency does not automatically issue a Marriage Certificate. You have to order it. You will receive the application when you purchase your Marriage Licence/Registration.
• Marriage Licence: $100.00
• Certificate of Marriage: $30.00 for regular service or $65.00 for rush service within Canada (processed within a few business days once marriage is registered. Delivery time may be longer depending on when marriage was registered).
The Certificate can be ordered online here.
(source: Manitoba Vital Statistics)
(Fees may change without notice)
Completing the paper application for your Certificate of Marriage (Marriage Document):
Enter Mailing address, Phone Number, Email address
Check Marriage Certificate and enter quantity
Reason for application: Enter "Proof of Marriage"
Check English or French
Enter names exactly as on the Marriage Licence/Registration
Enter place of birth (Province or Country if outside of Canada)
Enter date of marriage
Enter place of Marriage (City, Town or RM; as entered by the Officiant on the Marriage Licence/Registration)
Check A) Self
Check Regular or Rush service
Enter amount authorized ($30 regular service or $65 rush service)
Enter Credit Card number
Feel free to contact Vital Statistics or Sheri if you have any further questions.